If you’re on this page, it likely means you’ve given thought to becoming a mentor and are wondering what the next steps are. That’s great!
Our enrollment process has 6 steps, and while this might seem a little daunting, the goal is to ensure that we are meant for each other and you are meant for your Little!
It’s difficult for us to say how long the enrollment process takes. That’s because you “drive the ship” – it all depends on how quickly you get the tasks done in each step. But generally, you can count on at least one month.
Are you ready? Take a breath. Here goes…
1. Submit your application: After completing the volunteer inquiry form on our website, you will receive an email from Laura (our volunteer manager) with the application form. Complete the form and congratulate yourself for taking the first step.
2. Schedule an interview: We will contact you to schedule an interview. You’ll need to count on about 1.5 hours so that we can get really get to know you.
3. Provide references: You’ll be asked to provide 3 references (personal, family and work/volunteer-related). You’ll submit these through an online form.
4. Provide a police check: You’ll need to apply online to a police service for a Vulnerable Sector Check (VSC). If you have completed one within the last six months that will work.
BREATHE! (But no, this is not a step!)
5. Complete the training: It’s a 3.5 hour session, guaranteed to ensure you have a good understanding of the role and expectations. You will also learn how to create what we call a “developmental relationship” with your Little (which will come in handy in all walks of life!)
6. (“In the Community” programs only) Schedule a home assessment: We will contact you to schedule a time when we can see you in action in your home environment (since that’s a place you may be taking your Little).
THAT’S IT FOR YOU! THE NEXT STEP IS OURS…our team will conduct a final assessment of your application to ensure that all Big Brothers Big Sisters national standards are being met.