Job Posting – CONNECT2Mentoring Support Worker
Big Brothers Big Sisters of London & Area (BBBSOLA) is a not-for-profit, donor supported organization. We are funded by our community’s generous donors, as well as the United Way of London & Middlesex. BBBSOLA enriches lives by providing quality mentoring relationships to young people in need – helping to create strong and resilient community members. We value individual potential and know that every young person needs, and deserves, a role model. BBBSOLA offers a variety of programs to support children and youth in London and Middlesex County.
BBBSOLA is providing our 8 week session group mentoring program, CONNECT2Mentoring, throughout the summer months for children and youth ages 5 – 12 years old. CONNECT2Mentoring will provide young people the opportunity to learn about how to create healthy relationships and make strong foundations for friendship. This is done through a curriculum focused on life and living skills through mentoring, physical activity, structured learning, and community involvement.
Reporting to the CONNECT2Mentoring Coordinator, Support Workers are individuals with interest in and have previous experience working with children and youth in a group based program. CONNECT2Mentoring Support Workers are responsible for the supervision and care of groups of young people between the ages of 5 – 12 years old. The children and youth attending our programs come from diverse backgrounds and require a leader who is actively involved in facilitating a positive, engaging experience for all. CONNECT2Mentoring Support Workers need to be creative, flexible and approachable, be open to learning and teaching new skills, and be ready to have a positive impact on the young people they will work with. CONNECT2Mentoring Support Workers will receive training as well as on-going support and supervision during the summer months to further develop their leadership skills while employed with us.
- Provide fun, positive, and active leadership to mentees
- Be a friend and mentor to the mentees and their families
- Participate in the development and implementation of a comprehensive curriculum for CONNECT2Mentoring
- Positive interaction with mentees, families, volunteers, and the staff of Big Brothers Big Sisters of London & Area
- Support Big Brothers Big Sisters of London & Area’s risk management rules and guidelines
- Create a caring, supportive environment where mentees feel that they can take risks, make new friends, and try new things.
- Work as an active and positive member of the Big Brothers Big Sisters of London & Area Team by participating in all aspects of staff team building and training.
- Be available to work 30-35 hours per week from the first week of July 2018 to the last week of August 2018.
- There is a possibility that the job may begin mid-June depending on funding.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Experience working with Microsoft Office products
- CONNECT2Mentoring Support Workers are students enrolled in a secondary or post-secondary institution for September 2018
- Previous experience and positive references related to working with children/youth
- Clearly demonstrated positive attitude and teamwork in prior work/volunteer situations
- A clear police records check including a vulnerable sector search from 2018
How to Apply:
Please apply with a cover letter, resume, and 3 professional references who can attest to your character and previous work or volunteer performance. At least one of these references must be from a position where you were working or volunteering with youth.
Apply by e-mail to Paul David at firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line: Application for Summer Employment by May 11, 2018.