Inquire to be a Volunteer
BBBSOLA is located in London, Ontario, Canada.
You will be contacted within two weeks of completing your inquiry form.
Staff will advise you on the steps for your vulnerable police check.
If you would like to start the process early you can do an online check here if you are:
- 21 or over
- Have a credit history
- Have been living in Canada for 1 year
Thank you for your interest in becoming a volunteer with our agency! Currently we’re in high need of male mentor volunteers in all programs. Prior to completing the inquiry form, please review our Mentoring Programs section.
The inquiry can also be completed over the phone by calling 519-438-7065 x 6200 and speaking with one of our dedicated staff members.
How it Works
How The Volunteering Process Works
The order of the steps in the application and assessment process can vary from agency to agency, but the following is a general overview of the process. You, the volunteer applicant:
- Completes an application with their local agency
- Submits a vulnerable sector screen, criminal records check, and three or four references
- Participates in a one-to-one interview with a staff member at the Big Brothers Big Sisters agency
- Depending on the program, may be asked to participate in an assessment of their home environment
- Successfully completes an orientation and child safety training
- Is notified of their acceptance/non-acceptance
- If accepted as a volunteer mentor, signs an agreement of confidentiality
The Matching Process
Similar to the application and assessment process, the matching process can vary from agency to agency and from program to program, but in general:
- The caseworker, now familiar with the volunteer and the children and youth waiting to be matched, discusses a potential match with the volunteer, the child or youth, and, depending on the program, with the family
- The caseworker arranges for a meeting between the child or youth, the volunteer mentor, and often the parent or guardian
If everyone agrees, the match can begin!